Tuesday, April 26, 2011
First Encounters with Exercise
It took me a long time to get used to exercise. When you haven't pushed your body to its limits in years, you have to learn how your endurance improves and how muscle fatigue is not the same as pain. Last year, I bought the 30 Day Shred DVD and struggled to stick with it. I've exercised on and off since then and learned a lot about the process. My intent with this post is to share with you what it's like to start exercising, so that if you're starting, you get an idea of what to expect.
As a kid, I loved exercise without realizing it was exercise. I rode my bike constantly and raced down the street with my friends. I played soccer during recess and loved the swings. When I'd roleplay with my friends, we often ran around in a frenzy, ending up splayed out on the lawn catching our breath before the next act. But that was all play to me. When I grew up a little more, I took in subliminal messages that said "exercise" was strenuous and dreaded, whereas "play" was relaxing and sedentary. I played video games for hours and read countless books. Eventually, I'd even stopped riding my bike altogether. The only physical activity I ever did from sixth grade on was walk to school and back. I hated PE because I was more out of shape than the other kids. I would pant and turn bright red, then feel humiliated when the other kids seemed barely out of breath. I decided from then on that I loathed exercise and never wanted to have to "fail" at it again. I was so used to being ahead of the other kids academically, that the only way I knew to protect myself from being inferior at physical feats was to feign apathy and avoid exercise as much as possible.
After a couple years of marriage, I decided to try and do something about the pounds I'd started putting on. I used the DVD for the first time and remember how awkward it felt. I didn't know some of the moves I was asked to do, so it took time to learn how to do them properly. My ego doesn't like having to take substantial time to learn things. I couldn't complete all the reps the lovely ladies in the DVD were doing, and I felt constantly out of breath. I had to take multiple water breaks, and I felt overwhelmed and ashamed of myself in general. The day after I'd worked out, I barely got of bed I was so stiff and sore. Walking was a chore for a couple of days, and it just seemed like a lot of pain to have to go through for such subtle changes. I mistook muscle fatigue for dangerous pain, caterwauling about how I'd "torn" all my muscles, how I probably needed to be on bed rest for a week, so I couldn't exercise again until the pain went away. I look back and laugh now, but I remember how challenging that time was.
What I've since discovered is that the muscle fatigue I was feeling is "good." It means change is happening! It means I'm getting stronger and gaining new muscle mass. I've learned to be encouraged instead of dismayed at the aches, and I've found that exercising every day actually helps the stiffness go away. Working out helped with the aches more than resting ever did. The lesson here is to stick with it, and to relearn what pain means. Usually any kind of fatigue or pain is threatening until we learn that some pain is good for us. That's what has to happen with exercise.
I found that I worked out best during the time of day when I have the most energy - late afternoon or evening. I had been working out each morning, skipping breakfast and just going for it. But that caused me more fatigue than was necessary. I believe that it's important to eat and hydrate yourself before you exercise, being sure to give yourself time to digest first (an hour for me). You have to stay hydrated before, during AND after the workout, too. You want to be able to give the workout your all, so you'll see better, faster results.
For two months, I worked out almost every day. I miss having that body, but I know I'll gain it back if I'm diligent with my current routine. It's difficult to describe how great you feel when you've been consistently working out that long. The first time you succeed at it, you don't even realize how much has changed. I took it for granted and fell off the wagon, then realized what I'd given up when it was gone. I felt stronger and more confident. I kept pinching my sides and my thighs, marveling at the changes in my shape. I got dressed up more often and took better care of myself. I slept better than I ever have in my life, even finding that I needed an hour less sleep than I had before. My mind was alert; my moods were stable. My bones were stronger, my posture better. I was exploding with energy and happiness, and I swear I was more intelligent (at least less scatter-brained). It was truly amazing. And that was only after two months!
There are days when you don't feel like exercising, either because you dread it, you ache, your mood is off, or you're ill. But if you do it anyway (fake it 'til you make it) the results are worth it. If I dread it, ache, or I'm just having a bad mood, I've found that exercise helps eliminate those negative states of being. Exercise boosts your mood and eases your aches and pains (if you have good form and don't push yourself too hard). I've never regretted working out. Even being ill isn't always a good excuse.
Take today for example. I made a catastrophic choice with dinner last night and had hot wings. I love those bad boys, but they wreck havoc on my digestive system. I was feeling those effects today. I felt awful, and I was sure I couldn't exercise without disaster occurring. But I did it anyway, just to see if I could. The first five minutes were difficult, but I was able to push through. The rest of the workout session went great, and my indigestion went away. It was pretty awesome. Not only did I get to stick to my workout plan, I felt completely better.
In a nutshell, exercise bestows upon you miraculous results, but only if you are persistent and willing to push through all the excuses and temptations that life has to offer. If you haven't exercised in months or even years, it's time to give it a try and start learning what your body can become. Doing just this one thing improves your entire quality of life! Be patient with yourself and allow mistakes, but hold yourself accountable and responsible for making your one life on this earth the one you always wanted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment