As you all must know, I read constantly. It's probably a fault, but I learn a LOT in a short amount of time when I scarf down nonfiction. I wanted to share with you what I learned about health and fitness last week from the books I'm reading. My hope is that you'll learn a little something that will help you in a faster and more convenient way than reading five books.
- You need to exercise three days a week in order to condition your cardiovascular system, but you should not work out more than five or six days a week so that your muscles have a chance to heal.
- The reason we all need to stretch after exercise is to force the lactic acid that builds up during strenuous muscle use to dissolve. If you don't stretch after exercise, the lactic acid that is produced gets stuck in the muscle fibers, and it takes a painful toll later.
- For each can of diet soft drink consumed each day, a person's risk of obesity goes up 41 percent. I don't know precisely why, but I do know that artificial sweeteners wreak havoc on your hormones, which are involved in your metabolism. Regular soda is also bad for your hormones, but in a different way. Regular soft drinks reduce the hormone that makes you feel full, so they make you eat more.
- It's best to eat every four hours without fail in order to avoid overeating due to strong hunger and blood sugar imbalance.
- If you get a stitch in your side, bend over at the waist, press your finders into the painful area, and exhale forcefully. That should make it go away.
- Don't eat after 9 PM, or you will face extra hunger in the morning and higher blood sugar throughout the day.
- The reason that exercise prevents osteoporosis is that stronger muscles pull on the bone, forcing your bones to get stronger. It sounds a bit brutal, but it's a good thing!
My sources: Jillian Michaels, Shape magazine, and Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running
No comments:
Post a Comment